As fans of Cook’s Illustrated will tell you (or as you may have already experienced for yourself), issues of the magazine have a way of disappearing. Borrowed copies never seem to return, and others inevitably get splattered with marinara or drizzled with melted chocolate. The Cook’s Illustrated 2013 Annual
is the perfect solution—it gathers a year’s worth of kitchen discoveries, foolproof recipes, and unbiased product reviews (that you can trust because we never accept advertising) in one sturdy and handsome cloth-bound edition. We also include an invaluable recipe and article index to help you find it all fast.
Here are just a few of the 120 foolproof recipes, unbiased product reviews, and surprising discoveries inside the Cook’s Illustrated 2013 Annual: Grilled Glazed Chicken Breasts
– Without skin or bone, this lean cut cooks so quickly it’s almost impossible to get it to be both grilled and glazed. An unusual ingredient—milk powder—came to the rescue. A New Way to Cook Potatoes
– Our unlikely source of inspiration for this approach to cooking creamy, tender, browned Red Bliss potatoes: Chinese potstickers. Deep, Dark, and Decadent
– We discovered that the secret to a rich chocolate tart with truffle-like texture and unadulterated chocolate flavor was a low and slow stint in the oven. Top with a glossy dark chocolate ganache and chocolate curls or sea salt and this one’s a showstopper. Common Cooking Myths, Debunked
– Cold eggs will ruin baked goods. Washing mushrooms makes them absorb water. Searing meat seals in juices. We believed some of these myths, too—until our testing proved them wrong. The Last Mixer Standing
– We tested nine stand mixers for two solid months. To our surprise, the least expensive model (price tag: $240) beat out competitors costing two and even three times as much. The Best Hummus Among Us – Hummus has quickly become the #1 refrigerated dip in the country. Are you buying the best-tasting product? Dig into the results of our blind taste test in your 2013 Annual. More favorite recipes: Garlicky Roasted Shrimp, Stir-Fried Asparagus with Shiitake Mushrooms, Grown-Up Grilled Cheese, Fresh Peach Pie, Best Chicken Parmesan, Modern Beef Burgundy, and Holiday Pork Roast. More No-Nonsense Product Ratings
: Supermarket Bacon, High-End Barbecue Sauces, Chicken Broth, Medium-Roast Coffee, Pressure Cookers, Portable Crock Pots, Dutch Ovens, and Inexpensive Chef’s Knives.
Item number CA21BKS
Cook's Illustrated Annual Series Membership Details: By ordering this cookbook, you will be enrolled in the Cook's Illustrated Annual Series, receiving free previews of future annual editions as they are released each year. We will always send you a notification postcard in advance of each preview shipment, describing the book. You may decline your preview copy by returning our postage-paid reply card within 30 days. Otherwise, you will receive your preview copy for a 21-day free preview and be invoiced at our lowest prevailing price plus shipping and handling. If you ever receive an unwanted cookbook, return it at our expense. You may cancel at any time by calling Customer Service at 1-800-611-0759.